Joint Medical Expert Group
Expert Group Leader: Jeff Ayton (firstname.lastname@example.org)
EXCOM Vice-Chair with oversite:
Terms of Reference
1. Membership of the group will comprise nominees from members of SCAR and COMNAP.
2. Individuals who have particular expertise may be invited by the Chairman of the group to participate as associate members (without voting rights).
3. The Group will report to SCAR through the SSG-LS, working to further international cooperation and collaboration in basic and applied research on and healthcare of humans in Antarctica (e.g. biomedical sciences, social and behavioral sciences, and medicine) and to promote international co-operation in these fields.
4. The Group will work with SCAR and COMNAP to further international cooperation and will work to improve healthcare in Antarctica and to facilitate human health and well being in this environment. The group will propose relevant areas of interest to SCAR and COMNAP.
5. The Group may establish subgroups to consider particular aspects of its sphere of interest.
6. The Group may apply through the SSG-LS to SCAR, and to COMNAP for funding to support the Group’s activities.
7. The Group will work to encourage the development of regional networks to foster international cooperation. Networks may arrange meetings, inviting members to attend.
8. The Group will meet as required to present research findings (usually in association with SCAR OSC or COMNAP) and / or to work cooperatively on a particular task or area of interest.
9. The chair or the Group will submit an annual report to SCAR and COMNAP.
A copy of the outcomes of the Joint Expert Group on Human Biology and Medicine (JEGHBM) Telemedicine Workshop (August 2015, Tomoso, Norway) can be downloaded here: